AD CS Exit Module "Class Not Registered" Error
I've just finished installing Active Directory Certificate Services for an enterprise CA on Windows Server 2008 R2 Core (Enterprise Edition). After configuring the exit module for SMTP notification via a slight variation of the script on the TechNet Wiki (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/active-directory-certificate-services-smtp-exit-module-for-windows-server-2008-r2-example.aspx), I see the following error in the server's application event log when CertSvc starts up: Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-CertificationAuthority Event ID: 46 Description: The "Windows default" Exit Module "Initialize" method returned an error. Class not registered The returned status code is 0x80040154 (-2147221164). The Certification Authority was unable to initialize email messaging objects. And whenever the exit module is triggered, a variation of the following: Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-CertificationAuthority Event ID: 46 Description: The "Windows default" Exit Module "Notify" method returned an error. Class not registered The returned status code is 0x80040154 (-2147221164). The Certification Authority was unable to send an email notification for EXITEVENT_CERTISSUED to Unavailable. I tried re-registering the exit module, certxds.dll (regsvr32.exe certxds.dll and then regsvr32.exe /i xds.dll), and received the following error: "The module certxds.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005." I was using an admin account, and since this is Server Core, of course, that couldn't be caused by UAC. Anyone seen this before? Is it a known issue with Server Core? Thanks, Mark
September 2nd, 2011 2:10am

make sure the scipt is correct. Then, follow this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/dda1ce89-c32f-4071-a7de-f6bb3005253b
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2011 8:00pm

The AD CS default exit module is not well documented, but, as far as I can tell, the script on the TechNet Wiki is correct. It runs without errors and contains the same commands linked to from the thread you reference. Mark
September 5th, 2011 4:35am

It turns out that the SMTP notification portion of the AD CS exit module is officially unsupported on and does not work on Server Core. Mark
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 25th, 2011 7:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics